An Author Events Primer, Part 2 of 3
Increase author income, visibility, and satisfaction with a range of public events
In Part 1 of this primer, we looked at the wide, wide world that constitutes author events and understanding where the money is in that world. In Part 2, we look at pairing income with other author goals, maintaining a business mindset, and focusing on your advantages.
Pair income with other author goals.
- All of us in the creator economy and micro business space know the value of double- and triple-duty strategies and optimizing situations for all their worth. Comb this list of 50 Ways to Leave the Sidelines (for Authors) to identify outcomes of authorhood you may not even have considered, then align your event activities to cultivate these perks while making a living.
Maintain a business mindset.
- Use these events to build a cottage industry around your book. Treat them as the income source (immediate, deferred, or both) that they are and bring your professional game.
- Remember: Work is the price of money. Work the event and the room; serve those in attendance.
- You can’t go wrong with a win-win attitude, but once you’ve mastered that, it’s time to go exponential and practice win to the x.
Focus on your advantages.
- Tap into who you are and mine these eight areas for finding and developing the right events for you: your personal strengths; how others see you; your interests and skills (existing and desired); the needs of your books, readers, and customers; your values and priorities; your short- and long-term goals; your connections and networks; your current schedule and life constraints and your dream life.
More in this series
More like this
- An Author Speaking Gigs Primer, Part 1 of 3
- An Author Speaking Gigs Primer, Part 2 of 3
- An Author Speaking Gigs Primer, Part 3 of 3
Sharon Woodhouse is the owner of Conspire Creative, which offers strategic collaboration services for post-publishing author rewards: coaching, publishing consulting, project management, author business development/management, and ongoing group coaching for authors in a private Facebook group, A Profitable Author Life You Love.
Subscribe to my email list and receive my free ABC (Author Business Coaching) Nudge newsletter. It’s a brief, 3x/month email nudge to keep your author goals and income on track with accountability, tested ideas, new information, and fresh perspectives.